unFed unDead! Updates
We have been on the App Store for about a month now and there is a lot going on! Our downloads have been coming in pretty strongly and the app has been well received. In China, we made it to the #51 app on the store overall. In the US Store, we currently have a strong 27 x 5 star ranking.
Our game is completely free at the moment, as we are looking to gain some traction moving into our upcoming new version.
This new version is a big change. We have revamped many aspects of the game to make it more a game of skill and less a swipefest. We’ve done this by introducing a new streak system to the game. By rewarding the player for skillful, accurate attacks and penalizing them for a large number of misses, the game play is completely changed. Players who previously found they were successful by swiping all over the place as fast as they could, will now find themselves earning 1 star or less.
The perk store is the next big thing that we’ve added. The perk store allows us to move to a ‘freemium’ model. Players can download the game for free and then buy perks from the perk store, such as continues and ‘super-z’ power ups to help get them past tough levels. If the user buys the paid version of the app, they will be rewarded with several free perks. This allows us to remain a free app for ever, while hopefully getting some good revenue coming in for the game.
We’ve made some other tweaks too, including:
- a new control overlay that better communicates the desired area and direction for the player to drag in.
- only allowing backwards drags in multiplayer to avoid jamming fingers together when players swipe all across the screen.
- extra time on the first and second rounds. It stinks when you run out of time on the first round of a new level. Now when the time runs out, you’ll get extra time added to the clock, but will be penalized heavily for it.
- ‘double-tap’ bonus that will rewards players for making a skillful attack performed by killing two victims at once.
- in the paid version, earning 3 stars will reward the player with a free perk
- a facebook button on the level select screen will give the user access to view social scores. This will encourage them to use the social scores by giving them access to view and enable it without having to visit the settings screen.
I am very excited about this new version and cannot wait until it makes its way to the store. It was submitted on 8/5, so we should see it around 8/15 or so. Please make sure you check this out when its released!
Our current focus is now on making a universal HD version, which will include Retina display graphics and an iPad optimized version. I am also working to localize the game to several languages, since we have seen success in other countries around the world. After we complete this, we are going to work on our new wave based, Arcade mode… something I am very much looking forward to!